LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
Administrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 98
Thumbs up What to love or hate about the 2017+ Ducati Multistrada 950?

If you can share a few things about your ownership of the Ducati Ducati Multistrada 950, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one.
Administrator is offline  
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NW Connecticut
Posts: 46
Speaking from a 6-month, 4000-miles vantage point:

Objectively, all the functions that the bike is supposed to perform, it does, so there is build quality thus far. It balances nicely underneath me, which helps on muddy dirt roads. The front is steady and it likes to keep its line in turns, which helps on tarmac. I don't ride the bike at its limits, but the one time I had to (came too hot into a rather tight turn), it did not let me down and saved my ass. Yes, even if you think you'll kiss pavement, she can probably lean a bit more...

Subjectively, it's the bike that's optimally adjusted to the surfaces I need to ride it on. More fun on the road than a trail-ready bike, more confidence inspiring off-tarmac than a sport bike, with wheels and suspension that protect your kidneys from potholes and frost heaves. I also like the upright seating position, and whenever I see a rider with a gorgeous sport bike riding with one hand to stretch out his back a little, I am reminded I made the right choice.

I don't use it for "touring" - I have neither the time nor the desire to go on a long-distance motorcycle trip. On the flip side, most of those 4000 miles are "just for fun" miles, not commuting or using motorized transport to go from A to B, so yes, it's a fun bike that I find worthy to be ridden "just because".
mmshiro is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmshiro View Post
Speaking from a 6-month, 4000-miles vantage point:

Objectively, all the functions that the bike is supposed to perform, it does, so there is build quality thus far. It balances nicely underneath me, which helps on muddy dirt roads. The front is steady and it likes to keep its line in turns, which helps on tarmac. I don't ride the bike at its limits, but the one time I had to (came too hot into a rather tight turn), it did not let me down and saved my ass. Yes, even if you think you'll kiss pavement, she can probably lean a bit more...

Subjectively, it's the bike that's optimally adjusted to the surfaces I need to ride it on. More fun on the road than a trail-ready bike, more confidence inspiring off-tarmac than a sport bike, with wheels and suspension that protect your kidneys from potholes and frost heaves. I also like the upright seating position, and whenever I see a rider with a gorgeous sport bike riding with one hand to stretch out his back a little, I am reminded I made the right choice.

I don't use it for "touring" - I have neither the time nor the desire to go on a long-distance motorcycle trip. On the flip side, most of those 4000 miles are "just for fun" miles, not commuting or using motorized transport to go from A to B, so yes, it's a fun bike that I find worthy to be ridden "just because".
Glad to see feedback like this because from what i seen overall its a great commuter and your feedback correlates well to that feedback. I think once I get a 950, keeping it in Urban Power mode while in the city will be a common practice for me.
strada2corsa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 95
Just the handling of the bike is lovely around corners and easy to flick around. There's a lot of adventure touring bikes out there and the Multistrada 950 is pretty up there in terms of handling, no need to wrestle around with it.
RoadWarrior is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Just the handling of the bike is lovely around corners and easy to flick around. There's a lot of adventure touring bikes out there and the Multistrada 950 is pretty up there in terms of handling, no need to wrestle around with it.
This sort of makes me wonder how much of an incentive it is for some people to get the 950 over something else. Being a Ducati I like to think it already has so much going for it that things like this just further highlight on the overall experience.
strada2corsa is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 4
Hi there,
As for now, i own since saturday a Star White Silk 950, HOORAY!!
Awaits a few more Packages due to delivery, i am still adapting to this new ride experience.
So let me share some experiences what i have noticed in my first rides.

Pro's:
- As mentioned above by others, it's fun to drive this bike. The traction is incredible! (Pre-owned a Fazer 600 with 60NM/95HP)

- Topcase+Buddy seat: My GF confirms that this combination gives good Comfort.

- The horn sounds great
- ...


Con's:


- Major: Gear, as mentioned in other thread, i up-shifted in neutral between 5th and 6th / It seems also that then i want to shift back to the 1st, my gearbox would not let me, for this i need to

enroll the gearbox a bit. For me, be ready before you stand still and shift back earlier.
- Major: Windscreen: Lot of turbulence (1.92/6.2ft), i refer to the windshield topic (1402-original-windshield-rattling-buffeting-wind-noise)

- Major: Buddy Seat.. Locking the buddy seat could be smoother IMO, i saw on the Demo model the Rubber Seal was totally rubbed out of the edge.
With this experience in my mind, i hold an eye on the SEAL and try not to fill up the space to much. Iwill get more experienced in time i guess.
- Major: Fuel Consumption, As i drove a old MTS 2006, i remember the Fuel-Gage was horrible... Today, with 15 km's left to drive i decided to fill up my tanks... the amout till the cap was 16.7 Liter O_o that's 3.3 Liter deviation IMO. As i got the tank filled up, i drove 247 km / 16.7 Liter = 14.8L/100km O_o
Assume with this calculation and the dealer has filled the tank till the cap, the MTS is thirsty ^^ Can anyone confirm this Fuel Consumption / Deviation? (I will put this question in the Engine Discussion Thread)


- Minor: Side stand, when i pull this in, it seems the spring could be a bit stiffer, it closes not solid IMO, it sounds like it claps a few times(awaits for the center stand).
- Minor: TopCase: The topcase that comes with the Urban Package is fine, a perfect fit. But the rain cover is so tight, it needs a lot of force to pull it over, and even then it it does not fit perfectly

- Minor Suspension For Solo-riding, the suspension could be a bit stiffer IMO, as i also have read this in testreviews. I fitted progressive springs into my Fazer which give me more handling in corners and braking. For duo, the standard it's very smooth and no complains for that further. When i ride solo it is something to look into to adjust the springs. Has anyone experience / good tutorial for this part how to setup your frontspring?





- ... (for future use ^^)
HadieHuib is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 02:50 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Capelle aan den IJssel / The Netherlands
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadieHuib View Post
Hi there,
As for now, i own since saturday a Star White Silk 950, HOORAY!!
Awaits a few more Packages due to delivery, i am still adapting to this new ride experience.
So let me share some experiences what i have noticed in my first rides.

Pro's:
- As mentioned above by others, it's fun to drive this bike. The traction is incredible! (Pre-owned a Fazer 600 with 60NM/95HP)

- Topcase+Buddy seat: My GF confirms that this combination gives good Comfort.

- The horn sounds great
- ...


Con's:


- Major: Gear, as mentioned in other thread, i up-shifted in neutral between 5th and 6th / It seems also that then i want to shift back to the 1st, my gearbox would not let me, for this i need to
enroll the gearbox a bit. For me, be ready before you stand still and shift back earlier.
From 5th to 6th gear take's a longer travel then the rest, I adjusted the shifter to a lower neutral position, no more mis shifting anymore.
All in all the transmission get's a lot smoother/better over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadieHuib View Post
- Major: Windscreen: Lot of turbulence (1.92/6.2ft), i refer to the windshield topic (1402-original-windshield-rattling-buffeting-wind-noise)

- Major: Buddy Seat.. Locking the buddy seat could be smoother IMO, i saw on the Demo model the Rubber Seal was totally rubbed out of the edge.
With this experience in my mind, i hold an eye on the SEAL and try not to fill up the space to much. Iwill get more experienced in time i guess.

- Major: Fuel Consumption, As i drove a old MTS 2006, i remember the Fuel-Gage was horrible... Today, with 15 km's left to drive i decided to fill up my tanks... the amout till the cap was 16.7 Liter O_o that's 3.3 Liter deviation IMO. As i got the tank filled up, i drove 247 km / 16.7 Liter = 14.8L/100km O_o
Assume with this calculation and the dealer has filled the tank till the cap, the MTS is thirsty ^^ Can anyone confirm this Fuel Consumption / Deviation? (I will put this question in the Engine Discussion Thread)
You made a miscalculation, 16,7 liter over 247 km is 6,8L/100km - 1L/14,7km

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadieHuib View Post
- Minor: Side stand, when i pull this in, it seems the spring could be a bit stiffer, it closes not solid IMO, it sounds like it claps a few times(awaits for the center stand).
- Minor: TopCase: The topcase that comes with the Urban Package is fine, a perfect fit. But the rain cover is so tight, it needs a lot of force to pull it over, and even then it it does not fit perfectly

- Minor Suspension For Solo-riding, the suspension could be a bit stiffer IMO, as i also have read this in testreviews. I fitted progressive springs into my Fazer which give me more handling in corners and braking. For duo, the standard it's very smooth and no complains for that further. When i ride solo it is something to look into to adjust the springs. Has anyone experience / good tutorial for this part how to setup your frontspring?

- ... (for future use ^^)
4 click's clockwise on the front damping (left shock) and some turns in on the rear preload did it for me, but don't expect a stiff front on the brake's with 170mm travel
Mario NL is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 4
Thnx Mario

- Changing the shifter to a lower neutral position is indeed a good solution! Good to hear that shifting will improve by time.


- I fueled up the gastank and have the following calculation to share:
1. 176,5 km / 9,6 Liter = 1L : 18,38 km
2. 212,5 km / 11,74 Liter = 1L : 18,1km
3. 329 km / 17,09 Liter = 1L : 19,28km


It was more touring in the end (nr.3), i expect 1L: 16~17 when i hit the Alps ^^


- At the dealer they suggested to first try out to turn in the springs before i changing the dampers. With wrench nr.14 i managed to turn in the springs and left it by +1 mark. It fits better then the factory setting. I guess it narrows the 170 travel, i will test this for a while.
HadieHuib is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:46 PM
Junior Member
 
ajy1w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA NJ
Posts: 18
Garage
I love the ride. I love the ride two up. But more than any thing its ability to be so versatile. I want to tear it up, no problem, want to tour excellent and two up excellent, bad roads no problem ride quality is great on poor managed roads. Comfort for me is near perfect, the bike makes me want to ride it more then any other bike. This bike is a relationship that keeps giving. Trail riding I have not done yet but purchased this bike with that in mind. I am taking an off road course when the weather warms up. I bought this bike with the idea of exploring trail riding, knowing that 95% of my riding will more then likely be on road. But I want to expand my ability on a motorcycle and feel the 950 allows me to beat the **** out of it and not feel bad, where as had I purchased the 1200 / 1260 I would probably not venture off road.
The sound of the engine gets in your head or in your helmet, and you cant get it out, it calls you, come play with me. Love it.

When I saw this set up I was convinced the 950 is right choice for me. I could have the best of what I feel I want,
sport, tour, adventure, without sacrificing or buying into the BMW. BMW's are the best at what they do > but they are not Ducati's. KTM's are bad ass but I have not grown found of the new look, you know once you marry them you have to look at them every day. I am more performance oriented then rock crawling rider, anyway.

Con it heats up a bit in traffic on a 85 -or above degree day, only hot when standing still on it in stopped traffic.

Enjoy the ride

The bike in this picture was taken at the NYC motorcycle show.
Set up as pictured below and you can do off road real good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181202_161254.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	831   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181202_125633.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	833  
ajy1w is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:16 PM
Member
 
Yukon42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Nevada via Alaska, USA
Posts: 73
Garage
Love my MS950. Only thing it is missing to be perfect is electronic cruise control. I ride long distances (like Las Vegas to Dawson City) so CC would make it so much more enjoyable. Could probably use spoked wheels for dirt/gravel roads like riding to Tuk from Dawson. Otherwise great bike that never fails to put a smile on my face.

Work sucks; lets ride!

'17 Multi 950
'14 Ultra Classic HD
Yukon42 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What did you do to your Ducati Multistrada 950 today? Administrator What did you do to your Multistrada 950 today? 44 09-03-2018 09:57 PM
Ducati Multistrada 1200S vs. 950 Zipper 2017+ Multistrada 950 Versus the Competition 11 06-12-2018 07:18 AM
Multistrada 950 EMT Motorcycles Will Appear At 2017 Pikes Peak Hill Climb Multistrada 950 News 2017+ Multistrada 950 News 1 06-24-2017 07:54 PM
Ducati Multistrada 950 Are Now In U.S. Dealerships Multistrada 950 News 2017+ Multistrada 950 News 7 03-26-2017 11:19 PM
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950 Preview Administrator 2017+ Multistrada 950 News 3 02-19-2017 10:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome