LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Too early to rate

If this forum was a restaurant, it'd barely have its interior design finished - there is no menu yet, and there certainly is no food yet to be eaten. There is nothing wrong with that; it's just a function of "number of bikes in the hands of riders".

On the other hand, if this forum helps people with problems with their bikes, and nobody reports any problems - that can't possibly be a bad thing, can it?

I come here periodically, try to post something or respond to someone, basically at the level of having "small talk", but otherwise the reason for owning the bike is to ride it, not to talk about it.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 12:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmshiro View Post
If this forum was a restaurant, it'd barely have its interior design finished - there is no menu yet, and there certainly is no food yet to be eaten. There is nothing wrong with that; it's just a function of "number of bikes in the hands of riders".

On the other hand, if this forum helps people with problems with their bikes, and nobody reports any problems - that can't possibly be a bad thing, can it?

I come here periodically, try to post something or respond to someone, basically at the level of having "small talk", but otherwise the reason for owning the bike is to ride it, not to talk about it.
I agree. I check here every day, but very little, if anything, is ever posted. I belong to a Harley forum also and it's ALWAYS jumping with new posts on how to do things and interesting places that they've been and such. Not surprising what with the hundreds of thousands if not millions of HD's out there. Hopefully, this forum will be busier once more 950's are sold.

So far I have had zero issues and am loving the bike! I have been disappointed though as I've posted about getting some ideas on cruise control/throttle locks with only one reply. I'm gearing up for a ride to Dawson City in Yukon Territory in June 2018, so looking at adding stuff a little at a time that will make the trip from Nevada a bit easier/more enjoyable. I've added the enduro pack, installed Kappa Aluminum panniers on Givi cam lock racks (required a bit of modification, but very easy), powered tank bag and have ordered a mount for GPS which I will post about when it gets here and I install it.

I'm always up to answer any questions about what I've done to the bike and how I've done it. Hope other folks are the same.

Cheers!

Work sucks; lets ride!

'17 Multi 950
'14 Ultra Classic HD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 10:15 PM

@Yukon42 : I've been looking at the Kappa Aluminum Panniers as well. Can I ask a favor and have you post a pic of your set-up please?

Thanks bro!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 01:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksdman View Post
@Yukon42 : I've been looking at the Kappa Aluminum Panniers as well. Can I ask a favor and have you post a pic of your set-up please?

Thanks bro!
You will find that if you remove the two hex head bolts attaching the upper mount attached to the rack, there will be two tubes where those bolts went through the racks upper tube. The Kappa panniers matched up perfect on the lower rack mounts so nothing needs to be done for those. I had to remove Kappa upper mounting pins that were captive and then sand down two small raised plastic points so there was a flat surface to lay the large fender washers flat against the inside of the panniers when I bolted them up. It was a very simple mod to do and if you look at the attached photos, you can see how simple it was. I placed some thick rubber washers under the fender washers to mitigate vibration (just something I usually do and probably not really needed). I also bent two fender washers to form saddles over the rack tubes under the nuts that you can see in the photos; again, probably not needed, just wanted to add a bit of extra metal there. Prior to drilling the holes in the panniers for the bolts I placed the panniers on the floor on their side. Then I took the rack and put it on the bottom mounts of the pannier. I held the rack in place making sure those bottom mounts were all the way in and then ran a drill through the tubes in the upper portion of the rack into the pannier. This insured a perfectly placed mounting hole that matched up when a bolt was inserted. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2906.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2910.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2909.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	394   Click image for larger version

Name:	redrock.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	402  

Work sucks; lets ride!

'17 Multi 950
'14 Ultra Classic HD

Last edited by Yukon42; 10-21-2017 at 01:39 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the pics and tips Yukon42!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page