1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Throttle Lock

Today I put a band-aid on the biggest omission by Ducati regarding the 950. I installed a KAOKO Throttle Lock. Works slick and was very easy to install once I found out how to get the brass bushing out of the handlebar. I admit it took a little getting used to in order to fine tune the tension to simply maintain the speed, but after using it for awhile on the highway it wasn't a problem.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAThatcher View Post
Today I put a band-aid on the biggest omission by Ducati regarding the 950. I installed a KAOKO Throttle Lock. Works slick and was very easy to install once I found out how to get the brass bushing out of the handlebar. I admit it took a little getting used to in order to fine tune the tension to simply maintain the speed, but after using it for awhile on the highway it wasn't a problem.

Is it the DUC125 model and where did you order it from? I've had a couple Kaokos on previous bikes and liked them. Twisted Throttle, the US distributor, says late July before they have the DUC125 in stock, which is what the Kaoko site says is for our bike. The Twisted Throttle site doesn't show an application for our bike, so I called them.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
Is it the DUC125 model and where did you order it from? I've had a couple Kaokos on previous bikes and liked them. Twisted Throttle, the US distributor, says late July before they have the DUC125 in stock, which is what the Kaoko site says is for our bike. The Twisted Throttle site doesn't show an application for our bike, so I called them.
Yes it is the DUC125 and I got it from Revzilla. I couldn't find anyone that had one identified for our bikes either so I emailed Kaoko. They responded right away and were very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Yes it is the DUC125 and I got it from Revzilla. I couldn't find anyone that had one identified for our bikes either so I emailed Kaoko. They responded right away and were very helpful.

OK thanks for confirming. I ordered one from Revzilla Friday and it's supposed to arrive today.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Could you post a picture of the Kaoko installed with the stock handguards? I am about to pull the trigger on the purchase, but I would like to see how it looks.

Thanks
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make View Post
Hi,

Could you post a picture of the Kaoko installed with the stock handguards? I am about to pull the trigger on the purchase, but I would like to see how it looks.

Thanks

I know you didn't ask me, but well...I've got time now. The Kaoko is about 1/4" narrower than the bar end weight you replace. This isn't an issue or noticeable, as the hand guard is very flexible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaoko.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	725  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I know you didn't ask me, but well...I've got time now. The Kaoko is about 1/4" narrower than the bar end weight you replace. This isn't an issue or noticeable, as the hand guard is very flexible.
I was worried it might be bigger, but its the other way around. Thats cool, thanks. Gonna order one for my Lapland trip.
Steve B likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 10:29 AM

Installation tip: Don't try to remove the screw completely from the hand guard end that goes through the bar end weight and into the bars. If you do, you'll be fishing the split brass bushing that tightens inside the bars, out of the bars. I learned this on a previous Ducati with a Kaoko. Just loosen it enough to pull on the end of the hand guard and free the entire assembly from the bars.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Installation tip: Don't try to remove the screw completely from the hand guard end that goes through the bar end weight and into the bars. If you do, you'll be fishing the split brass bushing that tightens inside the bars, out of the bars. I learned this on a previous Ducati with a Kaoko. Just loosen it enough to pull on the end of the hand guard and free the entire assembly from the bars.
I agree with the tip since that is exactly what I did.

Why didn't you leave the weight in place though to keep the balance of the bars?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KAOKO #20.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	727  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 04:20 PM

The instructions for this model are for a Monster 1200 and they show you re-installing the bar end weight. Iíve had Kaokos on a couple bikes, along with the similar Throttlemeister. On all the installations Iíve seen previously, you replace the throttle side bar end weight with the Kaoko, not add to it. I liked the narrower look without the bar end weight and I canít tell any difference in vibrations.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page