1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yukon42

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Leaking fork seal

Noticed that my right fork leg seal is leaking somewhat after 2,000 miles on the bike and less than 6 months old. Not enough to make a large mess, but definitely noticeable. Took it into the dealer who told me it may not be covered under warranty; didn't make me a happy camper! Dealer wanted to know if I would pay for repair if not authorized by Ducati; after being told it would be $560.00(!) I said NO!!

Had a serious talk with them before leaving the shop and got a call a few minutes later saying that the repair had been authorized by Ducati (as well it should!). Did some research and found that Ducati states they warrant their bikes to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of 2 years with unlimited miles. Well, the seals are either defective in material or they were damaged when installed. Riding on pavement for 2k miles surely didn't blow them!

Also found that under Ducati Ever Red "ALL SEALS AND GASKETS are covered.

$560.00 to replace a fork seal....Ha! It's no wonder a lot of dealers have earned the moniker of "stealerships"!

Work sucks; lets ride!

'17 Multi 950
'14 Ultra Classic HD

Last edited by Yukon42; 02-11-2018 at 01:03 AM.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:24 AM

Having a dealer that's willing to go to bat for you on warranty claims can be the most important part of warranty claims in my experience. I'm fortunate to have a really good dealer who also won't hesitate to file a "good will" warranty claim, even after the bike warranty has expired, as long as it's reasonable. I've owned a lot of Ducatis and have had several warranty claims over the years. I had leaking fork seals replaced on a '13 Multi 1200, no questions asked.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
Having a dealer that's willing to go to bat for you on warranty claims can be the most important part of warranty claims in my experience. I'm fortunate to have a really good dealer who also won't hesitate to file a "good will" warranty claim, even after the bike warranty has expired, as long as it's reasonable. I've owned a lot of Ducatis and have had several warranty claims over the years. I had leaking fork seals replaced on a '13 Multi 1200, no questions asked.
That's been my experience with other motorcycle dealers also. Jury still out on this dealer; hoping for the best. Don't suppose your dealer is anywhere near Las Vegas is it?

Work sucks; lets ride!

'17 Multi 950
'14 Ultra Classic HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon42 View Post
That's been my experience with other motorcycle dealers also. Jury still out on this dealer; hoping for the best. Don't suppose your dealer is anywhere near Las Vegas is it?

Sorry, Springfield IL.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
Sorry, Springfield IL.
[email protected]!

Work sucks; lets ride!

'17 Multi 950
'14 Ultra Classic HD
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 AM

Perhaps there's another dealership near you with better service? The current one doesn't sound all that helpful, but at least your leaky fork seals are getting replaced or repaired.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Perhaps there's another dealership near you with better service? The current one doesn't sound all that helpful, but at least your leaky fork seals are getting replaced or repaired.
Next closest dealer is about 250 miles away in LA. I'll be picking my bike up today and will be having a "heart to heart" chat with them. Hopefully we can come to a mutual understanding; I'm hopeful.

My dealer has a great Duc mechanic; does good work-so there's that anyway. Hopefully I won't be needing his services other than scheduled maintenance. I've prepaid for the first 3 services; last of which is a Desmo service if memory serves me. I'll be changing oil at 5k however as I can't bring myself to wait till 9k!

Work sucks; lets ride!

'17 Multi 950
'14 Ultra Classic HD
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Picked up the bike and had a chat with the dealer. Looks like it was a miss communication on their part in the service department. Anyway, all seems okay now. Got a copy of the warranty and the extended warranty that I bought earlier (copies of which I didn't receive at the time). Rode the multi home; [email protected], I LOVE this bike!!!!
Steve B likes this.

Work sucks; lets ride!

'17 Multi 950
'14 Ultra Classic HD
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bought a seal doctor for any future problems and installed a set of Kriega fork seal protectors.

Work sucks; lets ride!

'17 Multi 950
'14 Ultra Classic HD
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon42 View Post
Bought a seal doctor for any future problems and installed a set of Kriega fork seal protectors.
After riding over 6,000 miles through all kinds of terrain, fork seals are holding well. I credit the Kriega fork seal protectors.

Work sucks; lets ride!

'17 Multi 950
'14 Ultra Classic HD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page