3Likes
  • 2 Post By Multi950
  • 1 Post By Multi950

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Pirelli Scorpion Trail II Tire Reviews?

Our 950's will be equipped with Scorpion Trail II's. 120/70 R19 front and 170/60 R17 rear. Obviously for this application its will help in optimizing experience on off-road terrain but also on regular paved roads but what has real world user experience been like for anyone here that owned a set? Interested in getting some owner feedback here.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-01-2017, 04:41 PM

Haven't personally used them before, but I have read up on user reviews and the overall performance of the Scorpion Trail II seems to be positive. They do have great grip on and off road, but someone claims that they don't last as long as some other tires out there.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

I don't mind that compromise of bad life time plus bike tires aren't that expensive. With my riding habits and how long I typically ride I guess it'll be 1.5-2 seasons before its time to change over. Less time than that if we go for group rides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2017, 06:08 PM

After 4000 km I must say I am impressed by the performance. Also in rain, also heavy shower they never made me feel bad. Can not tell how long they last. This far my thumb is up.
strada2corsa and raindog like this.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi950 View Post
After 4000 km I must say I am impressed by the performance. Also in rain, also heavy shower they never made me feel bad. Can not tell how long they last. This far my thumb is up.
Well i'm glad to know that someone here rode the 950 in rain because that's often what most people fear or rather not get stuck in, seen people have a difficult time getting through heavy rain just because of how uncomfortable of an experience it can be and the fact its their first time.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strada2corsa View Post
Quote:
Well i'm glad to know that someone here rode the 950 in rain because that's often what most people fear or rather not get stuck in, seen people have a difficult time getting through heavy rain just because of how uncomfortable of an experience it can be and the fact its their first time.
I am on my way home from a trip to Italy. The Dolomites. Had a lot of rain on the 1200 km trip to get there and in the first days there.. Will post more details when I am on laptop again. But can say I never felt the pirelli's fail me. Made me feel very confident on dry and half dry roads after this experience.
strada2corsa likes this.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I am on my way home from a trip to Italy. The Dolomites. Had a lot of rain on the 1200 km trip to get there and in the first days there.. Will post more details when I am on laptop again. But can say I never felt the pirelli's fail me. Made me feel very confident on dry and half dry roads after this experience.
Looking forward to your feedback since often there are all these nuances and little things that people pick up with their riding style, environment, riding surfaces, etc.

Hopefully you end up being happy with them with no burning need to swap out.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:48 PM

Having had a set of these on my last bike (Versys 650) and a set of Conti Trail Attacks, I would go for the Conti, what ever that compound is, it is awesome, Conti lasted longer by 1-2000km, the sides wore badly on the front of the Pirelli
Old 08-26-2019, 09:45 AM

Scorpion front tire sides wore faster than the rear. First time I've ever had a front tire wear faster than a rear. The sides wore faster than the center. after 5,500 miles front needs replaced. For what its worth, There are a lot of twisty roads here in E TN, and I do brake and turn somewhat aggressively, however I am not dragging knees or pegs. I've never felt the front tire slip, they have held up on gravel roads, but I find that the traction is very limited on gravel.

IMO, the Scorpion is probably more capable than the bike SHOULD be ridden. I often find myself doing mid-corner corrections with this tire. Not sure if its the bike, the tire or the rider yet. The setup is very sensitive to throttle inputs. I found that with quick direction changes, like on US129, the front fork sway causes me more concern than the tires, but on fast sweepers, the bike sticks like glue all the way to the edge of my riding abilities. Additionally, I am less confident with them on gravel roads which was the intent of this bike purchase.

I was thinking perhaps not riding it so much like a sport bike and trying some 80/20 tires like:
Continental TKC70, but I am concerned about the wobble issue.
Metzeler Tourances: Cant find front tire size... so that's off the table.
Avon Trailrider AV54... Maybe not enough off road grip.
Shinko 705? Solid reviews, but why so inexpensive? Too good to be true?

I am open to thoughts and suggestions and not opposed to the scorpion. 5500 miles on a tire is respectable, especially given the traction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190826_075541.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	941