LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust valve bypass - worth it?

A year of ownership and experimentation with the lovely 950. Including the exhaust. I noticed straight away when touring on the bike some surging between 3000 and 5000 rpm which other forums have put down to the effect of the exhaust butterfly valve.

So i initially bypassed this by attaching the operating cable to a spring - the surging was reduced but it didnt feel as lively. So i bought an electronic bypass or fooler and attached that and did a 5000k trip which included track sessions on the Phillip Island circuit. Sadly my conclusion is that it detracts from the bikes performance creating a slight flat spot just below 4000 rpm in particular. Most noticeable cracking open the throttle coming out of Siberia corner on track. REconnected the valve electronics and my fear was confirmed - much better pick up between 3000 and 4000. So sadly will stick with the slight surging - helped in traffic by using urban mode.

I also sought a bit more noise so experimented with replacing the stock end can with a straight pipe - definitely some more noise but not a nice one. ON these bikes most of the sound muffling occurs in the under engine box where the cat lives- the stock muffler is almost straight through so does little to reduce noise.

Of course i could do a full system and decat but that would mean a dyno set up and potential warranty problems so am not going there at this stage. Hope someone finds this useful

Chris
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 02:52 AM
Vendor

Welcome to the site! And thank you for the input.

Need fine parts and gear? Ducati Multistrada Parts & Accessories MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Got any questions? Get advice from our bike experts in Live Chat or Call Toll Free: 888.903.4344

Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram | Pinterest

Knowledge base: Helpful Motorcycle Guides & Articles

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page