1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zipper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Multistrada 950 VS Honda Africa Twin

For a while the new Honda Africa Twin was a hot topic in the adventure bike world and it seems to be one of the Multistrada 950's main competitors with a 998 cc parallel-twin engine and the base model starts at $12,999. That's around the 950's price point too.

Thoughts?
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:40 AM

Ducati never claimed that the Multistrada 950 is a go-anywhere mud-slogging globetrotter so you can't really compare it to something like the Africa Twin which was designed with some tough trails in mind. The 950 is more of a bike for those who wants to ride long distances and keep going even when the pavement ends.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 AM

The Africa Twin is something I would compare to the KTM 1090 that's coming about soon. Don't think the 950 isn't as off-road capable compared to those two. It can go on different terrains for sure, but it's more of an all-arounder that has some good comfort and performance.
raindog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:34 PM

Although a certain bike is marketed that way and is capable of the situations its shown in, it comes down to the similarities among a range of bikes that appeals to you. If you take away the off-road ability of the AT then it starts to become much more relevant in this discussion. Not everyone riding an AT will just take it off road, actually i've been seeing more KTM's in the city.

These days people are buying more for style.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

One thing the AT does have going for it is the automatic shifter. Testers weren't a big fan until they test rode the automatic version and they liked it when riding off road. Too bad it's such and expensive feature or Ducati could add it to the Multistrada too. You have to pay a premium for it on the AT too, not worth it if all I want is a daily rider for the occasional adventurous road.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
One thing the AT does have going for it is the automatic shifter. Testers weren't a big fan until they test rode the automatic version and they liked it when riding off road. Too bad it's such and expensive feature or Ducati could add it to the Multistrada too. You have to pay a premium for it on the AT too, not worth it if all I want is a daily rider for the occasional adventurous road.
I like to think how bike makers offer certain features is predicated on what it means to them and the market and right now it seems they have more leverage in offering the auto as a premium than for a need to make to more attainable.

As the years go on they'll need to make it more attainable and leverage it on that end.

Not always will a company aim to take profit on a certain feature or product, so this could have been something they took a hit on just to make attainable.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:26 PM

As the years go on, much like everything else, the prices will be going down for things that were seen as a premium feature. By that time, they'll have something a bit fancier and start implementing that instead. It's just the cycle.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:05 PM

On that note anyone who really likes the AfricaTwin might just want to consider going for that instead of this 950. AT's have been on the market long enough for you to find a good one used. Adding to that the level of aftermarket support out there.

I wish I could go that route but being a Ducati fan for so long, it's all I can imagine getting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page