LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Triumph Tiger 800

So the Triumph Tiger 800 just launched in India, and with three models to choose from. The 800 XR, XRx and the XCx. The new Tiger 800 comes with a new retuned 800cc inline three cylinder, which now puts out 94bhp. The new model features adjustable front and rear suspension, brembo front brakes and different selectable ride modes. Just curious what everyone thinks of this bike in comparison to the Mutlistrada 950.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 03:11 PM

Personal opinion, but I think the Triumph Tiger 800 is pretty ugly with those buggy headlights. What is nice is the new full-colour TFT instrument panel with auto and high contrast options. Clear displays makes lifer easier when the sun is glaring down on it. But the 950 is still the better option for long rides.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

That's fair, I wasn't expecting it to be to everyone's liking. Just seems like it'll be quite the competitor for the 950. I think its launching exclusively in India however, so there is no knowing when it will make it to North America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 02:50 PM

It's not limited to India only, the Triumph 800 and 1200 is available in North America. What may give it a leg up is a shorter ratio first gear, good for moving on dirt roads.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 02:21 AM

There is also an XRt touring edition available in Canada and likely the USA as well.
Story...
January 2017, I went to the local motorbike show with my chequebook to put a deposit on the Tiger 800 having seen it in the showrooms earlier. My intent was to order a white XRtouring When I got to the show, the Triumph dealers had decided NOT to attend the show in favour of other dealer events. So I went looking all the other bikes. I had liked the 800XRt a lot. It has 3 riding modes, ABS, traction control, heated grips, windscreen, great engine reviews for the triple cylinder and was $15,650 plus taxes side bags and dealer upcharges. Two CON's... the side bags were ugly metal boxes, and the warranty was 1 year only.

I had seen the Ducati 1200 MTS, but felt it was too powerful and too pricey at $24,000 Canadian dollars. (plus taxes and all the dealer upcharges)
Then I saw the 950 MTS in Matte Star White. Just as beautiful, had 4 riding modes and the side bags were sleek and integrated into the bike. Warranty 2 years, Price $15,495. I ordered it and waited 3 months for the bike and 6 months for the heated grips to arrive. I'm sure the Tiger 800 XRt is a great bike, but I'm happy with the Duc. Everyone who see's it thinks it costs way more. The price for the 2018 is $15,995 now.

950MTS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:36 PM

I put myself on a Tiger 800 last weekend. Nice bike, definitely positioned more for ADV riding. It was shorter, so, if the multi is too tall, and you prefer ADV, it is a good choice. For me, the twin is the magic sauce that wins for me. Multi is more comfortable with better suspenders.

FWIW: My shorter friend (5'5") wasn't happy with the multi.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page