LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

looking for a new daily

Glad to have found a community based around the new multi 950.

Coming from years of riding sport and supersport bikes its time I put an end to that and get something not as aggressive but still pushing levels of power i've been used to. Fitting that medium are bikes like the 950 but i'm still open to getting anything else the market has to offer. So far KTM is the only other bike maker on my list...

What bikes are you guys comparing the 950 to?
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:25 PM

Of course when it comes to adventure bikes, KTM is always the main player in the mix. The Africa Twin is of course there, but I'm not really looking at it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:31 PM

I was previously looking at the BMW GS lineup, but their touring/adventure bike just isn't the right size for me in that they're too large. If I wanted something smaller, I would have to compromise in power and that's not something I was willing to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATGATT View Post
I was previously looking at the BMW GS lineup, but their touring/adventure bike just isn't the right size for me in that they're too large. If I wanted something smaller, I would have to compromise in power and that's not something I was willing to do.
Hence why you will see me blabbing out KTM every now and then as much as some might rag on it. Even just from a ergonomic perspective KTM's resonate well with Ducati riders. All my buddies that own and ride 1199's, 899's and even the older Pani can attest to this. But they are attached to their ducs on a level they're not willing to admit... it happens.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 05:37 PM

Brand loyalty is always a very common thing. Even if the bike doesn't tend to them as well as another in the segment does, they'll still ride true and stick with their brand. It's like developing a relationship and being real proud of it
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Actually if a bike doesn't tend to them they go elsewhere, Ive seen it for myself time and again, not once have I came across a rider that settled with a bike they don't like. With cars thats easy, on bikes its a total different ball game. Where have you seen this? With what bikes and types of riders?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:44 PM

I have an acquaintance right now with 2 Kawis in his garage and he will refuse to go another brand. He's been more of a rider for thrill rather than daily, but I would ask him why he wouldn't go with a Duc or even an R1 or FZ-10 and he'll just say no to it. Another reason being because his favourite color is green which I think is not even justifiable for anything lmao.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I can see reliability being one reason since more guys I know who fear Ducati is out of the potential for issues and then trying to resolve those issues. Time off the road during riding season is never fun and that alone can make or break the sell.

That might be why in warmer climates i see more ducatis.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Especially where I am, riding season is always a very precious time and we always try to ride it till the very last day (sometimes pushing a few days over when we really shouldn't).

Ducatis main sales are pretty much split among the USA (most sales according to their 2016 sales figures) and then following with Europe. Add in the other places after like China and Brazil and what not
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATGATT View Post
I was previously looking at the BMW GS lineup,
I had the chance to ride the F800GS in Iceland for two days. No trail riding, just roads and dirt roads. The bike feels much less planted during cornering than the Multistrada, and quite wobbly at low (parking lot) speeds. I looked at the KTM 1090, the Tiger800, and the Africa Twin. Two of these had delivery issues (no bikes to sit on, let alone to test drive), one has a really inaccessible dealership.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page