LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Greetings from Canada

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Hi, I'm a smidgen over 50, been riding since the early 80s and I recently bought a new 2018 950.
Brief ride history: a few older Yamahas & Hondas in the 80s and 90s, VTR1000, VFR800, RC51 street and track days, KTM SMT990, Last bike 2015 Vstrom 1000
My decision was quite impulsive actually, because I actually went to a dealership to test ride a GS1200.
The GS didn't do it for me. A 950 demo was sitting there calling my name. Tried it and it fit !
Light on it's feet, responsive engine, softish suspension the way I prefer... all good.
So after relatively minimal research, I decided to buy one.
(That, despite warnings from older Ducati owners scarred by unreliability and reported lack of competent mechanical service)
Admittedly, I do feel like I am taking a risk.but sometimes you just have to go fo it !
...and an extended warranty just in case, cause my Mama didn't raise no dummy

So far just shy of my 1000km break in oil service, I LOVE it
I look forward to sharing what I learn with others who may be thinking of buying this bike.
My very first search was a few days ago to inquire about the rear axle nut size and torque so I can adjust the chain.
Scary how many messed-up resonses I read... so here is my first feedback folks;
The 950 Multi requires a 36mm 12 point socket (my shallow socket works just fine so you don't necessarily need a deep socket). Man that nut was on there T-IGHT. As you all know by now, the torque value is not included in the very thin owners booklet, so I asked the dealership service manager. He told me 180nm
180nm is more than I have ever used on any axle nut shy of my Ford F150, however it is consistent with the effort required to remove the nut in the first place so based on my mechanical background, I feel confident with the "verbal" 180nm
This business of not having a proper technical reference to do basic servicing rubs me the wrong way. Big time.
I will be the first one to jump on a service manual or at the very least a torque value list in any format, if made available.
Looking forward to exchanging info and experiences,
Later

2018 Arrest me Red 950
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:29 AM

Hey Goforit I am also a new owner hailing from Western Canada, I am not a young buck anymore either. I have been riding most of my life and have owned a LOT of bikes over the year, I recently thinned the heard and have only two bikes, the 2018 950 Multi SW and my Husqvarna FE501. I am with you on the frustration in regards to lack of technical data available for the bike. I have serviced repaired and built bikes myself for most of my life and don't see why this should be any different
David D
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:32 AM

In red of course
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180908_114603.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	787  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Nice pic with the Rockies in the background!
If I get my hands on a repair manual I will communicate it on the forum.
For now I will keep enjoying it...riding up New Hampshire's Mount Washington this weekend 😁

2018 Arrest me Red 950

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page