LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Original Windshield rattling/buffeting/wind noise

My experience so far from the original windshield is a lot of wind noise and buffeting, especially in the highest position. I'm 6'1 and in the highway the buffeting is very annoying. Has anyone experienced the same or anyone tried an aftermarket windshield which solved the problem? Also has anyone experienced rattling from the base of the windshield?
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 12:53 PM

I think you may need a new windshield that's larger than what the 950 comes with from factory. I've always found diagrams like these to be helpful though you don't need to go with the brand that's shown.
This could be what's happening to you.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:33 AM

I'm about the same height as you and I have trouble with the buffeting as well. I have changed the winscreen to a MRA Vario touring. It seemed to smooth the airflow a little but does not solve the problem completely. I recently switched bikes with another rider for part of a ride. He had a ZX 14. The 14 had very little wind protection up high but totally smooth air - much less fatiguing to me. Reminded me that I still have further to go to solve the buffeting problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermis View Post
My experience so far from the original windshield is a lot of wind noise and buffeting, especially in the highest position. I'm 6'1 and in the highway the buffeting is very annoying. Has anyone experienced the same or anyone tried an aftermarket windshield which solved the problem? Also has anyone experienced rattling from the base of the windshield?
Wind noise may be a function of the type/brand of helmet you have. I have found through the years that sitting above the windshield with a tight fitting face shield on a top brand helmet is relatively quiet and even though my head is in the wind, it is "clean" air with no buffeting. To alleviate wind noise you may want to try using a good quality ear plug. Good luck!

Work sucks; lets ride!

'17 Multi 950
'14 Ultra Classic HD
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 01:18 PM

I installed a Puig racing screen. It is shorter and narrower and quieter. And looks better too. I am 6' and get a lot of noise with the stock shield, the Puig is quieter but does not completely solve the problem.

just a ragged clown behind...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 01:35 PM

Wind noise can be solved with ear plugs or some kind of hearing protection. I usually go with plugs because the noise can deafen you over time.
But windshields are a different matter. If only there was a way to test out a variety of them before purchasing.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 02:17 PM

Been using this thing in colder conditions for a while already.

In the summertime prefer to use basic earplugs, without them it's just an agony.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 06:42 PM

I like to have headphones with noise cancellation which is great since I can still take calls and still be as connected as I want to be while out on the road.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strada2corsa View Post
I like to have headphones with noise cancellation which is great since I can still take calls and still be as connected as I want to be while out on the road.
Do you ride with a helmet on? What kind of headphones is it?

I have a big Bose noise canceling headphones, but I won't be able to wear them with a helmet.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermis View Post
I am 6 and the original and taller factory screens did not work for me. I switched to a Puig touring screen and all is good. Givi also offers a taller screen...I got one as well but have tried it yet.

'17 MS 950
'13 Husky Terra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page